Friday 15 July 2011

Day 10 - summing up

A more relaxed day today, with a visit to the US Embassy and certificates this morning, and then a free afternoon to split into smaller groups for shopping, sports, museums or Harry Potter. It feels like a really long time ago that we were in Edinburgh, but at the same time, the trip has gone really really quickly.

Some bits that we've missed uploading over the week...
Our Gamelan session from City University yesterday, for those struggling to picture this bizarre Indonesian instrument:


Victoria Santorelli shares her experience of Oxford:

When I woke up today I was ready for another day filled with laughs and fun, and that’s exactly what it was and more. This morning we left London and made our way to Oxford for the day. I, along with the other girls, have been looking forward to going to Oxford so we could buy sweatshirts. Once we got there Kat, Julia and me went to get them while the rest of the group shopped also. While we were buying the sweatshirts the group had left to continue our day of activities, leaving us behind. Never did I think I would be left in Oxford. While Kat, Julia and me were LOST! we had our first experience using a telephone booth. That was an adventure in itself considering not one of us knew what we were doing. We had to ask a random person to help us. Everything worked out eventually, after calling our emergency contacts, once again we were reunited with the group!!

I did not think anything else could happen to me today but I was wrong. After the whole being lost incident we went punting. During lunch, while we ate, we saw people punting along the river and it looked fun so I was excited to go. On my boat was Julia, Jeanee, Fiona and myself. While everyone laid back and enjoyed the ride on the boat I was left in charge to punt. I didn’t mind, it couldn’t be that hard – but I was wrong. Punting a boat was one of the hardest things I’ve done before. After a while I finally got the hang of it and everything was going great until Johnny, another guy who was punting a boat, hit his boat into mine making me fall off the boat into the water. I was soaking wet, everything on me was smelly like lake water and had green moss on it. But hey, I didn’t let it bring me down. I got right back into the boat and continued to punt the boat to the end of the trail where everyone was waiting and laughing and taking pictures. It was priceless. There was no reason to get upset it happened, I fell in, I had to make the best of it. Johnny felt so bad and wanted to make it up to me sooo bad. While everyone went to continue their tour of Oxford, Kathy and Fiona took me to go get new clothes. Johnny also came with us and took us back to where he was staying so I could shower.

In the end it all worked out. I won’t forget my punting experience.

(It was honestly not as terrible as it sounds, everything's under control! - Alice)

And happier times for Victoria, being serenaded by the Broman Empire on her birthday:


Some of the group have written a little something about the trip as a whole:

Allie Stahlman
            My favourite activities that we did over the trip so far were first, on day one, the camera obscura. I thought it was really cool watching the people off the streets. My next favourite night was going bowling. It was really fun spending time with all of our friends doing something fun. Lastly I loved going on the London Eye.  I love heights and watching the city from up above was so cool. I really want to come back to the UK soon so I can bring my friends and family and show them the cool things I did.

Kathryn Grazioso            
            This trip was definitely an experience of a lifetime. There is no possible way I could pin point my favourite times of the week because every day was a different learning experience and adventure. Between facing my fear of Ferris Wheels by going on the London Eye, learning about new cultures and places, and spending the past 10 days with my all time favourite people in the world, the British Council helped me create memories I will never forget!

Julia Jones
            The ten days I spent in the U.K. were absolutely amazing. Everything from meeting with the Scottish Youth Parliament in Edinburgh to shopping on Oxford Street in London was incredible. I definitely enjoyed Edinburgh more than I thought I would (who knew the city would be so beautiful and interesting?!), and it was really great to experience a part of my heritage with which I don’t really identify myself. (Although I do think I could live without haggis.) The time we spent in London was also pretty cool. I’ve always wanted to travel to London and go sightseeing, so I’m really happy we were able to do that. Overall, these past 10 days have made my summer one I will never forget. I can’t wait to come back with my friends and family and experience the cities with different people. Thank you British Council!

Jeanee Lee
            This trip was eventful to say the least.  We got the opportunity to do so many things that most of us probably would not have known about or been able to do had we visited the UK on our own.  I got to do so many things, from sightseeing to visiting college campuses, all while meeting so many new friends.  While the weather was rough in Scotland, we still got to see the beautiful city.  London was an entirely different experience especially with the weather.  Overall, I had a really great experience and it created memories that I will never forget.

Max Arczynski
            This trip has changed me for the better in more ways then I can count. I have learned that the ugly American stereotype is not true, I have learned that when it comes to eating fish and chips leave it to the British and I have learned when it comes to convincing counsellors to go clubbing there is no chance of it happening. The most important lesson I have learned is “do not judge a book by its cover” because your opinion might be wrong. This has come true with the people of this camp because you would of never guessed their history. Thanks a million everyone who has made this trip possible and a special thanks to the counsellors of this trip.      

Jimmy Vigiano
This trip has changed my life for the better. All of the monuments and attractions made it interesting and fun. The chaperones were great, they did an amazing job and kept the trip fun even during the not so great parts like walking around, and the cab rides. The have the complete respect of me and everyone else on the trip if I had to say so, they were great.  

Keithroy Maynard
This trip was a life experience. My favorite day was when we went on the London Eye which showed an amazing view of London

Austin Vukosa
This trip to the UK has been an amazing experience because of the academic influence and friends that I have made.

Chris Gardner
            Alice is very tired, so I’ll just say I had an amazing ten days and I’d like to thank everyone for all they’ve done for us. I won’t forget it and neither will anyone else.

Thanks Chris. I am tired, and so is everyone else, but in a good way. We have an early start for the airport tomorrow, so the rest of the group will be sharing their thoughts with Jenn at the airport and on the flight, to be updated tomorrow night when we're getting to sleep at a reasonable hour and missing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment