Saturday 9 July 2011

Day 4 - Our Scotland

Today was a good day. The weather was surprisingly sunny, allowing for a fun- filled morning of outdoor activities with the Scottish Youth Theatre. We had a great time doing acting warm- ups and exercises with people our age. There were even a few dance battles, which made me extremely happy. Everyone really enjoyed acting silly. My personal favorite moment from this morning's session with SYT would have to be when the Broman Empire (Kyler, Brandon & Chris W. with Billy filling in for Henry) burst into a Scotland- themed version of 'This Land Is Your Land'. I was sad to see our new Scottish friends leave, especially my pal Scott who pointed me in the direction of the cafe where J.K. Rowling began writing the Harry Potter series. Corey and Rosie stayed to eat lunch with us and turned us on to a drink called Iron Brew which we experimented with in the afternoon.

After lunch, we had a bit of free time to get our things together before walking to Parliament and Holyrood Palace. We thankfully made it to Parliament before the rain started. The tour of Scottish Parliament focused on the contemporary architecture of the huge complex. We were all happy to take a break in the cafe after the tour had ended. It was here that many of us sampled Iron Brew and the weird flavors of chips that are carried in Europe. Meagan immediately felt the effects of the sugary drink, proceeding to engage in behavior that she normally makes fun of me for (By this I mean that she could not stop moving and speaking fast. Her eyes were really wide too HAHA). When we were done, we ran across the street in the pouring rain to tour Holyrood Palace. Most people were hyper because of the Iron Brew, which made for a pretty funny touring experience.

Holyrood Palace was stunning. My walking group (Kathryn, Suzann, Chris G., Max & Kayla) loved the history of the palace, especially the morbid story of how someone was murdered in Mary Queen of Scots' chambers. Due to the heavy rain, our whole group met back up in the gift shop to wait for taxis to arrive and take us back to campus. People bought some interesting items... but I'll leave that for you to find out when we get home. From the palace, we rode back to campus to get ready for a fun night out.

For dinner we went to Pizza Hut. I had the pleasure of eating with Chris G., Jimmy & Ryan. I enjoyed talking with them... when they weren't making fun of my germaphobic tendencies. We then walked over to the bowling alley. The lanes weren't ready yet, so everyone enjoyed a little time in the arcade. I embarrassed myself by playing Dance Dance Revolution in rain boots. Dancing was the theme of the day because we continued to do it through the night. I had more fun dancing than I did actually bowling, which might explain why I did poorly even with the bumpers up. We got a lot of stares from the other people at the bowling alley, but it was the perfect ending to the best day of the trip thus far. I danced with Sam, laughed a lot with Keithroy, bonded with Julia C., and watched Kyler act like Gerard Butler. I love my friends and I love the experiences that this trip has provided me with so far. I can't wait for tomorrow to come so that I can take more pictures!

Ava

P.S. Love ya Mom!

Photos to follow - technical difficulties! Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment